Report: Spurs waived guard Josh Primo after allegations of sexual misconduct

Report: Spurs waived guard Josh Primo after allegations of sexual misconduct

A female ex-San Antonio Spurs employee claimed that Josh Primo, now a Spurs guard, exposed himself to her in her presence.

The person spoke to The Associated Press under oath because Primo and the Spurs had not made any public details.

Attorney Tony Buzbee confirmed that he was hired by “an ex-contractor” with the Spurs. He is the attorney who represented 24 women who sued Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, then of the Houston Texans, accusing him of sexual assault or harassment.

Josh Primo
FILE — Josh Primo of the San Antonio Spurs warms up before a game against the Houston Rockets at the AT&T Center on Jan. 12, 2022, in San Antonio, Texas.

Getty Images


Watson is serving an 11-game unpaid suspension and was fined $5 million by the NFL.

Primo was waived by the Spurs on Friday in a surprising move, given that the 19-year-old was considered to be an important part of the team’s future. ESPN reported Saturday that Primo was fired by the Spurs after he was accused of exposing himself to women in multiple instances. The San Antonio Express-News confirmed that Primo was the reason for the Spurs’ decision.

According to online records, Primo is not currently facing any court cases in Texas’ Bexar County.

Primo released a statement to ESPN on Friday, stating that he had “been seeking treatment to deal with past trauma I suffered and will now use this time to concentrate on my mental health treatment. I hope to be able discuss these issues in future so that I can help others who have experienced similar trauma. I respect your privacy.

Primo was taken by the Spurs with the No. 12 pick in the 2021 NBA draft after he spent one year of college at Alabama. Even though he had just been drafted, the team had already taken his third-year option. This was a procedural move that secured a $4.3 million salary for next year and indicated that he was expected by the Spurs to stay. He was earning $4.1 million this season.

“We hope that this decision will serve both the organization’s best interests and Joshua’s,” R.C. Spurs, Spurs CEO, said. Buford stated when Primo was waived by the team on Friday. Gregg Popovich, the Spurs coach, did not elaborate on the statement. He referred reporters to Buford’s statement. He said that “we’re going back to what we told you.” “

Thanks so much for reading CBS NEWS.

Create your free account or log in
for more features.

To continue, please enter your email address

To continue, please enter a valid email address

Read More