Michigan Beefs Up Tunnel Security After Incident With Michigan State

Michigan Beefs Up Tunnel Security After Incident With Michigan State

Michigan football will return to some notable changes at the Big House this weekend following the incident at the end of last month following the Michigan State game.

Made nearly two weeks after video of multiple Spartans football players punching and kick Wolverines player Ja’Den McBurrows in the tunnel following the Michigan State game, Michigan has increased security at the Michigan Stadium field. This Saturday’s game against Nebraska will be held at the tunnel. This weekend will mark the first time that the Wolverines will host a game since the Oct. 29 incident.

According to a statement released Thursday by Kurt Svoboda, Michigan athletic director for external communications and public relations, the athletic department and the Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security have conducted a review of game-day operations on the field and in the tunnel.

“The most recognizable adjustment will be an increase in security staffing in areas bordering the tunnel opening to the field so that we can better monitor crowd and participant interactions,” Svoboda said in the statement, per the Detroit News.

Svoboda also admitted that there would be a “more prominent” gap between Michigan’s visiting teams and Michigan’s in the tunnel after the final whistle.

Nebraska interim coach Mickey Joseph told reporters on Thursday that he and his players are not worried about a confrontation taking place in the tunnel during Saturday’s game.

“I have faith that the University of Michigan administration will do everything they can to ensure there is no altercation,” Joseph stated to reporters. “We have a plan that will ensure our team gets into the tunnel and gets in safely. We’re not going to be there for that. We are not referring to the altercation or what happens in the tunnel. We will be professional as we have always been, and we will get our children in and get them out. I don’t see a problem happening.”

A University of Michigan police department investigation into the Oct. 29 incident remains ongoing after Michigan State coach Mel Tucker suspended eight players for their involvement. Green, who was allegedly hit with a helmet in the altercation, has retained Tom Mars to represent him.

More CFB Coverage:

Wolverine Digest: In Hutchinson and Ojabo’s Wake, Others Step Up

For more Michigan coverage, go to Wolverine Digest.

Read More