Live Updates World Games Softball: Team USA vs. Chinese Taipei
HOOVER, Ala. — Team USA got off to a quick start in game one of Sunday night’s doubleheader and never looked back.
The Eagles jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning against Italy and went on to win 6-0.
Kinzie Hansen led the way with three hits and Taylor Pleasants and Michelle Moultrie both added two RBIs. Crimson Tide stars Haylie McCleney and Montana Fouts both saw time in the win for the United Stats.
McCleney led off and started in centerfield. She went 1-2 with a walk and an RBI on a sac fly. Fouts came in to relieve starter Ally Carda in the fifth inning. In three innings pitched, Fouts picked up eight strikeouts and only allowed one hit.
Game two of the doubleheader against Chinese Taipei is scheduled for 9 p.m.
The game is not televised, but part of it can be streamed on The World Games 24/7 Channel on Olympics.com, or you can also follow along here for live updates throughout.
BE SURE TO REFRESH YOUR BROWSER FOR THE VERY LATEST UPDATES!
(latest updates at the top)
FINAL: USA 7, Chinese Taipei 0
- Lorenz doubles off the left field wall, and one run come in to score for the run-rule win.
- McCleney laces one into left field for a two-out RBI single. USA 6, Chinese Taipei 0
- Jefferson knocks a single into left field to put two U.S. runners on with two outs.
- Pleasants draws a one-out walk.
MID 6: United States 5, Chinese Taipei 0
- Abbott freezes the Chinese Taipei batter to end the inning and collect her 13th strikeout.
- A two-out bloop single gives Chinese Taipei its first baserunner since the second inning.
- Make that 12 strikeouts for Abbott.
- Abbott picks up her 11th strikeout to open the sixth.
END 5: United States 5, Chinese Taipei 0
- Lorenz is stranded at second after two quick outs.
- A fielder’s choice moves Lorenz into scoring position with one out.
- Leadoff single for Lorenz.
- “Sweet Home Alabama” is now being played at the Hoover Met with some chants of Roll Tide Roll sprinkled in.
MID 5: United States 5, Chinese Taipei 0
- Abbott strikes out the side in the fifth. She’s up to 10 in the game.
END 4: United States 5, Chinese Taipei 0
- McCleney is caught stealing to end the inning.
- McCleney legs out an infield single with two outs for her first hit of the game.
MID 4: United States 5, Chinese Taipei 0
- Another three up, three down inning pitched by Abbott.
END 3: United States 5, Chinese Taipei 0
- A groundout ends the frame, but the Eagles add two more in the third.
Scroll to Continue
- Mulipola comes through with her second RBI-single in as many innings. USA extends the lead to 5-0.
- Chinese Taipei will make a pitching change.
- Hansen stays hot with a two-out double, her fourth hit of the day.
- Hannah Flippen breaks out of her hitless slump in a big way. She crushes a ball over the left field wall to give USA a 4-0 lead.
- It’s the first home run of the tournament for Team USA.
- Another nice play from the left fielders. This time she makes a diving catch in foul territory off the bat of Lorenz.
MID 3: United States 3, Chinese Taipei 0
- Three up, three down for Chinese Taipei in the third.
END 2: United States 3, Chinese Taipei 0
- Chinese Taipei’s left fielder makes a running catch against the net in foul territory to retire McCleney, but Team USA scores three in the second.
- McCleney is up with a runner on second and two outs.
- Jefferson sends a fly ball out to left field, which scores another run on the sac fly. USA 3, Chinese Taipei 0
- Moultrie hits a ball off the second baseman’s glove, and another run comes in to score on the error. USA 2, Chinese Taipei 0
- Pleasants draws a walk to put two on with one out.
- Muliploa singles into left field to drive home the game’s first run as Hansen come in to score. USA 1, Chinese Taipei 0
- Hansen draws a walk to become USA’s first base runner of the game and quickly steals second. It’s her fourth time to reach base in the doubleheader.
- A nice snag by the shortstop robs Flippen of her first hit of the day.
MID 2: United States 0, Chinese Taipei 0
- A groundout gets Abbott out of the frame. Scoreless through 1.5 innings.
- Chinese Taipei knocks a two-out double after Abbott opens the frame with back-to-back strikeouts.
Bottom 1- USA batting
END 1: United States 0, Chinese Taipei 0
- Three up, three downs for the U.S in the first, having trouble timing up the changeup with three straight fly balls.
- McCleney will once again lead off for the Americans.
Top 1- Chinese Taipei batting
MID 1: United States 0, Chinese Taipei 0
- A strike ’em out, throw ’em out double play ends the top of the frame.
- Chinese Taipei reaches with a one-out bunt single.
- The legendary Monica Abbott is in the circle for Team USA.
Team USA Starting Lineup
1. Haylie McCleney- CF
2. Amanda Lorenz- LF
3. Charla Echols- 3B
4. Hannah Flippen- SS
5. Kinzie Hansen- DP
6. Dejah Mulipola- C
7. Taylor Pleasants- 1B
8. Michelle Moultrie- RF
9. Janae Jefferson- 2B
Starting pitcher- Monica Abbott
- Team USA will be the home team in this game.
- The Eagles have changed into their all navy uniforms with USA emblazoned across the chest.
The author of 5 books, 3 of which are New York Times bestsellers. I’ve been published in more than 100 newspapers and magazines and am a frequent commentator on NPR.