Former Manchester City Midfielder Didi Hamann Has Doubts Over Clubs Transfer Business
Manchester City have signed Erling Haaland so far this window and a deal has been agreed for midfielder Kalvin Phillips from Leeds United whilst they are expected to complete deals for Arminia Bielefeld goalkeeper Stefan Ortega and Brighton left-back Marc Cucurella.
Didi Hamann played for City for three years from 2006 to 2009 accumulating 71 appearances in that time period scoring one goal for the club and the former German international has had his say on Pep Guardiola’s transfer business this summer.
The ex-Liverpool man has raised concerns about Haaland, speaking to He told Genting Casino he said: “Erling Haaland has had his injury problems and the Premier League is a very physical league. If you look at Gabriel Jesus’ stats, they’re brilliant.
“He’s scored a lot of goals for them so I’m surprised he’s been allowed to leave. Erling Haaland can score a lot of goals, but I don’t think he will suit the way Man City play.
Scroll to Continue
“It’s a big ask for Haaland to reach the levels of Ian Wright and Thierry Henry. I’m fascinated to see how he’ll play under Pep Guardiola – he’ll definitely improve as a player but I don’t think he’ll ever be as good at linking up play as other Premier League greats were.”
He also had his say on Kalvin Phillips, questioning his injury record: “In Rodri, Man City have the best holding midfielder in the Premier League and I don’t know where Phillips fits into the team.
“Kalvin Phillips’ injury history doesn’t make him a risky signing for Pep and Man City because even when everyone is fit, I’m not sure where he’ll play or if he’ll get a game because even Ilkay Gundogan couldn’t get into the team towards the end of last season.”
- The Biggest Games In The Calendar; When Will Manchester City Play The Big Six?
- Report: Manchester City named as Potential Destination for unsettled Matthijs De Ligt
- Manchester City Planning to Secure Long-Term Future of Central Midfielder This Summer
- Confirmed: The 17 Manchester City Players That Could Star at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar
- Manchester City Name Asking Price for Nathan Ake Amid Premier League Interest
- Raheem Sterling Considers 2023 Manchester City Exit on Free Transfer
The author of 5 books, 3 of which are New York Times bestsellers. I’ve been published in more than 100 newspapers and magazines and am a frequent commentator on NPR.