Bill Cosby sued by five women for alleged sexual assault and abuse

Bill Cosby sued by five women for alleged sexual assault and abuse

The accusers, which included two actresses who appeared in The Cosby Show ,, filed a lawsuit against him under New York’s Adult Survivors Act.

Five women, including two former actresses who appeared on The Cosby Show, filed a sexual assault and abuse lawsuit against Bill Cosby in New York state court Monday.

In a complaint reviewed EW, Lili Bernard and Eden Tirl, along with Jewel Gittens and Jennifer Thompson, accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault, battery, infliction and emotional distress, and false imprisonment in encounters that they claim date back decades.

All five women had made allegations against Cosby before. The civil suit was filed in New York under the Adult Survivors Act. This law gives survivors of sexual abuse a one year window to sue, even if the statute has expired.

The suit also names NBCUniversal Media and Kaufman Astoria Studios as defendants. They are accused of negligence. The complaint states that each plaintiff was sexually assaulted, battered, and abused by defendant Bill Cosby in the “same or similar way he used his power fame and prestige, including the power fame and prestige given him by the aforementioned media corporations” to “use his enormous power in such an nefarious and horrific manner.”

Bill Cosby

Bill Cosby

| Credit: Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images

Bernard, who played a patient of Cosby’s character on The Cosby Show, accused Cosby of drugging and raping her in New Jersey and Nevada in 1990. Tirl, who played a police officer on the sitcom, accused Cosby of inappropriately touching her without her consent in 1989 in his dressing room. Gittens alleged that Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her in either 1989 or 1990, while Thompson said Cosby inappropriately touched her in 1988. Ladd accused Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1969.

Cosby has denied the allegations. Andrew Wyatt, his representative, stated in a statement to EW that it wasn’t about justice for victims alleged of sexual assault. It’s all about money. We believe that the courts and the court of public opinion will follow the law and exonerate Mr. Cosby from these alleged allegations. He continues to deny every allegation levelled against him and looks forwards to his defense in court. ” Reaching out to the plaintiffs for comment Tuesday, Jordan Merson (an attorney for them) said that “With the passage the Adult Survivors Act these five women can now come forth and pursue justice for what they have suffered. As their counsel, we look forward in pursuing discovery of Mr. Cosby as well as the other defendants in the case. ”

More than 50 women came forward with similar allegations against Cosby in 2014. The following year, Cosby was charged with the assault of Andrea Constand, a former director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team, and he was convicted in 2018. Cosby was sentenced to up to 10 years in prison but was released last year after the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned his conviction, ruling that the prosecution against him was an unfair violation of due process.

Related content:

Read More